Friday, February 19, 2010

35mm DSLR Format Revision - Response

I feel we didn't cover too much in todays class. But we did cover our folio brief and the consequences of missing a class (eek!). Still a little confused about the folio, but I'm sure it will all unfold in due time.


White Balance
At first I was a bit skeptical of Cameron's "theory" of keeping the white balance on daylight, but then I thought back a while ago when I was doing panoramas and being constantly annoyed that the exposure and white balance was different throughout the shots. Now that I shoot RAW and use manual exposure fixes most of these problems, but I do agree that keeping the same balance is easier than using auto when it comes to post-processing.
However when I got home and was testing my new macro lens inside under the kitchen light, it was AWFULLY yellow... and I was like... "hang on... it's still on daylight."
So I think that daylight is well and good when taking photos outside, but a certain degree of custom white balance is necessary depending on the light. Therefore I have devised that the best method is to measure white balance before shooting, and keep it constant throughout, and then change it again for the next shoot (whether it be inside, outside, with flash etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment